Monday 22 April 2013

Welcome to my Marathon blog!!


I'm no stranger to blogging. In fact, I'm one of those sad little nerds who, over the years, have had at least one crappy little blog on the go at any said time. One was an ill-fated blog about the comings and goings at Ipswich Town Football Club; my pathetic little musings and what I made of something that was ultimately out of my control entirely. Strangely though, I loved it, and even if only in my head, I really did think I was Martin Samuel.

So why have I set this one up? To most of you reading, this is yet another boring, egotistic blog, which in the back of you're mind you're already only giving a month until I get bored, forget about or simply give up on, with my tail between my legs. You could very well be right, but lets see, hey!

Snigger as you might, but in April 2014, I WILL take part in the 34th London Marathon – my first! Oh dear Lord, what have I got myself into?!

At school, I was always that fat ginger kid who would come last in the cross country, wouldn't get picked in football, and would be forced by my PE teachers to field at deep fine leg in the cricket – just about the only position I couldn't mess up. Why on earth, therefore, did it ever come into my head that I could ever possibly run for 26.2 miles on live national television?

Now, you're probably thinking that me sitting here drivelling on monotonously is hardly going to help me run a marathon. Well, hopefully I can prove you wrong on that count, as I have three main reasons for setting up this blog.

The first is a little thing called accountability, and I've seen this done before with many other blogs. You know the ones; some chubby Asian-American bloke claims he can get ripped in six weeks simply by eating eggs and exercising for no more than fifteen minutes a day. Somehow he achieves his goal, ends up looking like the Incredible Hulk, but for the majority of that six weeks, he's most likely been honing his Photoshop technique.

Anyway, by going public with my decision to enter the Marathon, and indeed by writing a blog about it, suddenly it is a lot harder for me to back out. In the past I have said I would do things, only for them to be put on the back burner and ultimately forgotten about. This, though, I am serious about, and I'm willing to make myself look a right plonker if it goes balls up.

The second reason is to raise awareness for the charity I'll be running on behalf of, and hopefully to get a few donations along the way. Believe it or not, I don't actually have a charity yet, so it's not exactly a good start – but I am on the lookout, and there are a selection that are close to my heart and I've already registered an interest with.

Finally, it's an opportunity for you guys to follow my progress and offer the sort of unhelpful discouragement that will lead to my demise. I shall post updates on my training, pictures of me afterwards looking like Susan Boyle first thing in the morning, and my times in some of the shorter distance races I endeavour to drag myself through along the way.

I do hope you will take time to follow me on my journey, make donations as and when is appropriate, and above all, enjoy what I have to offer you.

Best Wishes

William Taylor
Marathon Masochist
x

No comments:

Post a Comment