Saturday 27 April 2013

Pace Training And Continued Search For A Charity


Completing the London Marathon and raising lots of money for charity has got to be my priority. Getting a good time, however, is also highly important to me. In an ideal world, I'd love to be coming in sub-three hours, but I am a realist: this will be my first Marathon, and anything around the four hour mark would be a phenomenal achievement in my books.

I recently read about the training regime of a relative who has considerable experience when it comes to long-distance running. In the build up, he used to do two long runs a week (over 20 miles), as well as a couple of shorter distance ones to build up his speed. This was an area I wanted to focus on.

In comparison to a marathon, 2.5 miles isn't much. But with very little running under my belt in recent months, I was keen to see how fast I could run this. Already somewhat fatigued from playing 90 minutes of football earlier in the afternoon, I set out with my cousin (who works as a personal trainer). We got round in 22 minutes, which isn't bad considering how long it has been, although over the next couple of months, I could really do with getting that closer to the 15 minute mark.

The main benefit I'll get from this run is fitness. Every little helps. Equally, keeping a fast pace is hard work, and it will help me with the mental aspect of running – to keep going, give everything I have got and push myself through the pain barrier, no matter what. As an old football coach of mine once said: 'never leave anything out there.'

Despite all this, endurance will be the key on marathon day. That's got to be the next aim. Within the next week or so, I anticipate giving a 6-10 mile circuit a go. It doesn't have to be quick, and I may not even bother taking a stopwatch with me, but if I can get round without walking at any point, it will be a great platform to build on.

Away from the training, the search for a charity goes on. I know this is my most realistic chance of getting a place in the London Marathon, so I'm continuing to sound out potential charities who will welcome me on board.

Last week, I registered my interest with the RNIB, on the basis that it is a cause close to my heart, due to my dad's registered blindness. In my previous post, I spoke about his condition, Retinitis Pigmentosa, and you'll probably not be surprised to hear that there is a dedicated charity aimed specifically at sufferers of the condition.

I sounded them out a few years back, but was put off by the amount of money I would be required to raise – over £2,000. However, with almost a year to raise it, I'm confident I could raise such a fee. I have written to the British Retinitis Pigmentosa Society (BRPS), regarding running for them in the London Marathon. We'll hopefully find out where I stand with that soon.

Finally, I'll probably give a mention to the ballot. It opens this Monday, and if it increases my chances of getting into the Marathon, it's worth entering. I'm pessimistic about my chances, but I'll give it a go nonetheless.

Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. Wishing you luck Will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Hope you enjoy my blog between now and then!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your training. The London Marathon is absolutely amazing, and it will be an experience you will never forget.

    Best of luck in the next year. Here's hoping it is injury free.

    Maureen (aka Marathon Mum, '05 London Marathon veteran)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your support Maureen. I hope you enjoy the blog!

    ReplyDelete