Monday 10 June 2013

10 Months To Go - Place CONFIRMED!!

On Thursday, it will be precisely 10 months until I run the Virgin London Marathon, and if that is not enough to fill me with fear and anxiety, then I don't know what will.

It's been a few weeks since I have been able to update this blog, but finally I am able to bring you a few bits of news that might be of interest to you.

First and foremost, I can now officially confirm that I have been granted a place in the Marathon. I will be running for The British Retinitis Pigmentosa Society - a cause very close to my heart.

As you will have read in previous blogs, my dad suffers from the hereditary disease, and sadly he is going blind. 

Whilst for many sufferers, the early signs are tunnel vision, for my dad it is quite the opposite. In his current condition he is almost totally blind out of the front of his eyes, but still retains a fair amount of sight in the periphery. Unfortunately, however, that is slowly fading too.

The target for me is to raise a minimum of £2,000. At this stage, raising that sum of money seems even more daunting that the prospect of having to run 26.2 miles, so I would be eternally grateful if you could contribute in any way at all.

I've set up a Virgin Money Giving account, which can be found at www.virginmoneygiving.com/WilliamTaylorLondonMarathon. Donating is really easy and will not take long at all. I'm sure I can count on your support!

Of course, all this fundraising is all well and good, but if I'm unable to complete the race on the day, I'll feel like a complete fraud, and you'll no doubt feel like you've been mugged off. So I guess you're wondering how my training is going, then?

Well, better than I thought about a week ago would be the best answer!

My hectic life seems to have got in the way of any sort of solid training regime, but I am due to run in the Diss 10k on Sunday (16th June), I was determined to up my mileage.

Yesterday I completed a seven mile circuit around Elmsett, Whatfield and Aldham (near where I live). It is more than the 10k I will be running at the weekend, and I'm pleased to say I made it all the way round without stopping to walk at any point.

Admittedly it was a bit slow - it took me pretty much bang on the hour - and this morning I nearly collapsed into a heap as I attempted to get out of bed, but the sense of achievement was still there.

I think I will try and get my times at this distance a bit better before I extend it again!

In the mean time, wish me luck for next Sunday, and feel free to donate to what really is an excellent cause. I'd also love it if as many of you as possible could share this blog on your Facebook and Twitter pages, as the only way I am going to raise this money is by getting the word out there!

Cheers,

Will x

No comments:

Post a Comment